Having crooked or misaligned teeth can be painful and embarrassing, and it may lead to problems down the road. There are a variety of solutions available that can correct these problems—one option is clear aligners. Keep reading to learn more.
What can clear aligners fix?
Clear aligners are clear plastic trays that are custom fitted to your teeth. They are worn throughout the day and night to help manipulate your teeth into the correct position. Clear aligners can be used to treat most of the same issues as traditional metal braces including:
- Crowded or crooked teeth
- An underbite or overbite where the top and bottom teeth don’t come together
- A cross bite where the top and bottom teeth don’t align correctly
- Gaps in your mouth where teeth should be
How do they work?
Like traditional braces, clear aligners move your teeth into the correct position by placing gentle, carefully controlled, pressure on them.
What should you expect?
If you choose clear aligners, your dentist will take x-rays and impressions of your teeth and create a customized plan. This information will be sent to a lab where your custom aligners will be created. You’ll then wear your aligners during the day and night over a period of weeks. Every few weeks, you’ll need to see your dentist for a new set of aligners to continue moving your teeth into the correct position. This process can take anywhere from 6-24 months. After the treatment is complete, you’ll be given a retainer to help your teeth stay in the correct position.
What are the advantages of using clear aligners?
There are many advantages to using clear aligners. Some advantages include:
- Clear aligners are less noticeable than traditional braces and almost invisible.
- Clear aligners are removable so you can take them out to eat, drink, and brush your teeth. This makes it easier to keep your teeth clean throughout the treatment. It also means you can take them out for a special event such as a wedding or family photo.
- Clear aligners are relatively comfortable and there are no metal wires that could cause pain.
Are they a good solution for you?
Clear aligners are a great option for adults and teens who would like to straighten their teeth without noticeable metal braces. There are some cases where traditional braces still provide the best results, but clear aligners can address most of the same issues. If you’d like to consider clear aligners, schedule an appointment with Dr. Nagel to evaluate your options.